Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Quick Organization Tip - Student Supplies

I want to share a quick tip that I use in my classroom.  One of my personality traits is that I have to be super organized. I also like my classroom to be decorated and neat.  I have seen all kinds of classrooms with cute little buckets or trays that hold student supplies that are located in the center of the student tables or group of desks.  Totally wasn't working for my class.  If it was available, it was a distraction! I can't tell you how many times I had to take away scissors because apparently they were meant to spin around on your pencil. :) Which led to this strategy I use in my classroom.  I purchased some sturdy baskets (these are from Target) and placed all of the student supplies for each group inside.  The baskets have number labels on the side (which you can't see in this photo) and have a certain spot on the shelf.


Now, when we need supplies, one person at each table is the supply helper and is in charge of getting the basket for their table and making sure all supplies have been returned to the basket when we finish an activity.  They then replace the basket and all is well in supply land. There are tons of super cute storage containers out there.  Maybe this strategy can help your "hands on" students have less distractions.  Thanks for stopping by!

~Chelsea

8 comments:

  1. Great idea, Chelsea! I love bins and baskets too! I think I might try your number system on the baskets. I am glad I found your blog through the Quick Tip linky-super cute! I am happy to be your newest follower.
    -Jaime
    Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jaime. Thanks for following my blog. I am super excited to begin connecting with other teachers in the blog world. I'm headed over to check out your blog too!

      Delete
  2. Hi Chelsea! Thanks for linking up! What a great way to keep your tables clutter-free, but keep their supplies close at hand! I would LOVE to have tables in my room... I have desks. Now if I can figure out how to keep their heads OUT of their desks... I'm your newest follower!

    Angela :)
    Hippo Hooray for Second Grade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Angela. I'm so glad to take part in your linky party! Thank you for following my blog. Already followed yours.

      ~Chelsea

      Delete
  3. LOVE this idea! Now to find space to store those baskets! Thanks for linking up!
    Jean
    Diving Into 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jean. I'm new to the blogging world, so it is great to have the opportunity to link up with other bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this idea! I just have my students keep their own supplies in a personal pencil box, but those sort of drove me crazy this year and I think I might go with community supplies next year. I just started following your blog.

    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete