Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Take-away Tuesday... Guest post!

Hi y'all! I've never been a guest blogger before! Thanks, Chelsea for giving me a shot at it! I'll admit right away that I have no idea what I'm doing. :-)

In case you don't know me, I'm Crystal a.k.a. Foxy, from the LibraryFox. I'm a librarian at a K-5 school and I make clip art to sell on TpT as a hobby. My school schedule is CrAzY. I have 11 classes per day, 30 minutes at a time. I love it! My day flies by! However, planning meaningful lessons is kind of difficult. During that 30 minute library period we also have to check out books, so we really only have time for a 15-20 minute lesson. I'm also responsible for teaching drama.... So that's what I'm going to tell you a little about.

One of our favorite K-1 drama activities goes along with a little book called Not a Stick. It's about a piggy that uses a stick and his vivid imagination to pretend that he is all sorts of different things. After I read the book to my kiddos, we talk about the words props & improvisation. Then I get out a yardstick and we play our own version of charades. :-) There are 3 rules: 1. No violence. 2. Don't reuse anything that was in the story OR anything that your friends have already done. 3. It needs to be something that we can guess. The object is not to beat your classmates, but for you to be able to act well enough that the other students can guess what your stick is supposed to be! The kiddos beg to do this over & over again after we do it the first time! I imagine that older kids would like it too. There's a similar book by the same author called, Not a Box.

I'm not sure if any of you could use this activity in your classroom, but we sure love it in our library! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment