Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Take-Away Tuesday with Guest Blogger...Kate Peila!




My name is Kate and I teach elementary school in Montana. I am passionate about teaching, technology, writing, and reading. I blog regularly about technology integration, tips for productivity, and teaching over at Purely Paperless.... I'm thrilled to share with you today on Mrs. Allen's blog- she has some great ideas!




The first few weeks of summer are always a little bittersweet for me. I am excited for the opportunity to unwind and recuperate, but I am always aware that there are some things that I could really improve on for the following year. As I sat enjoying the first few days of sunshine this year, I reflected on the fact that I could have done a better job communicating with parents this past year.

So began the quest for a resource to help facilitate that process....

I already have a classroom blog and website, but I wanted something that was more immediate... more "in your face," so to speak.

I am happy to report that I have found a potential winner for the upcoming school year:

Meet WDWDT....


WDWDT (What Did We Do Today) is an app for the iPhone- Android coming very soon- that creates a private messaging platform for teachers, parents, and even students!

Within the app, you can easily create a class by adding the parent's contact information. Parents will receive an email to join the class. If they choose to download the app, then they will receive push notifications on their iPhone with classroom information. If they do not have an iPhone, then they can still benefit as the application will send out the updates as emails.


So, how is this different than just sending out an email or updating a blog?

Glad you asked....

With this app, you can:
  • Send pictures
  • Send messages
  • Send timely reminders
  • Embed forms and surveys
And, instead of hoping that parents will see the blog in time, the app will send a push notification directly to their phone. Awesome! Personally, I know that I am far more likely to see something that is sent to my phone than to my email... especially if time is a concern.

This is a great way to share information about learning goals, upcoming assignments, field trips, reminders, and more... I really like that you can also customize the settings so that you can share with the entire class or just one parent quickly and easily.

Purely Paperless

Thanks for letting me share with you today and I hope that this is a tool that you will find useful as you start off the 2013 school year! Be sure to stop by my blog, Purely Paperless, for tips and tricks for integrating technology into the primary classroom.




2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really great way to stay in touch with parents. Thanks for sharing! Sara

    ReplyDelete